Thursday, April 7, 2016

THE SEX PISTOLS - GUN CONTROL


So, we're celebrating the 40th bithday of punk this year.... Well, here's my contribution to the party, a bootleg album from a 1978 concert from the Sex Pistols....

For me punk started when I was 12 and it started as it did for many others in Holland, with the first appearance of the Sex Pistols on Dutch tv on the Ferry Maat's Disco Show in 1977. I was 12 years old at the time and it made an incredible impact. What made an even more incredible impact was Iggy Pop's appearance on Ad Visser's tv show Top Pop. Iggy was told that he had to lip-synch Lust For Life and he didn't like that at all. He was moping in the dressing room, wouldn't come out, so they started playing the track anyway. Iggy ran out and started doing his thing, making love to plants, scaring and chasing away the girls who were supposed to dance... Next day the whole country was in uproar, questions were asked in parliament. If you look the clip now you might wonder what all the fuss was about but back then it was huge....

I actually lip-synched the song at a school party, 12 years old, throwing chairs around and stuff and I even won a price for that, not that it did help me much, I was thrown out of that school not that long after....



I was only 12 and at that age, well, you know how it is, for my next birthday I got my first turntable and the first records I bought were Never Mind The Bollocks, Lust For Life, No More Heroes, a Dutch compilation called "Geef Voor New Wave" (Give For New Wave) and Kiss Alive II. Every time I was able to buy another album it was a punk album or a Kiss album and Kiss was my favorite band back then.... This is what I looked like back then:


Anyway, after quiet a while loving Kiss and heavy metal in general, running home from school every tuesday afternoon to catch Alfred Lagarde's radio show Beton I got heavily into punk again and around the last months of 1978 I started playing drums in a punk band. We called ourselves Pleeboy (plee being a Dutch word for a toilet), our first gig was in a town called Goes in a place called Het Beest which was a huge succes, we had the whole place jumping. We had a few more gigs, one at a party at my school which was wild. The director pulled the plug after two songs but my buddy and class mate Edwin (who later became the top skinhead in Holland, the guy was HUGE, a monster but my buddy) punched out the director and put the plug back in again....

Here's a picture of that performance (me drumming was taken somewhere else):


We also used to go to Huize Schoonderloo, the place where legendary punk band the Rondos were staying. They were really nice to us and we were allowed to print our own magazine there:



And here some more pictures from our band Pleeboy:



Later, I was 15 years old, I, like so many other young teens back then, ran away from home and I started living in squad-houses in Rotterdam. I lived in that way for about a year, but when folks started dying around me, from heroine, from violence I gave up, went back to my parents where I lived for another very blessed 4 years....

Punk in Rotterdam was intense, at times very, very violent, loads and loads of drugs and many great bands like the Rondos, Bunker Oeso, Tandstickorshocks, Kotx, Skitzofrenics, Debiele Eenheid, J. Dops Band, Revo and many, many more bands.... There was a place called Kaasee, I saw the UK Subs there among other bands, there was Exit where I saw many bands too and quiet a few very cool other places like The Twijfelaer/B14 and much more....

Here's me standing in front of the stage, a festival at Doelen Square in Rotterdam after a demonstration through the center of the city, Kaasee was closed down, Exit was closed down and we demonstrated for a new place for punk concerts. That day there were performances from Kotx, Bunker Oeso, J. Dops Band and the Debiele Eenheid. This was in 1981....


Later I played drums in another band, again with my buddy Bram Pescador who was the singer in Pleeboy. I can't remember the name of the band but we did a few gigs, one as the supporting act for a group called Spasmodique in Het Beest in Goes.... My friend Dick was the singer in that one, Bram was playing guitar (and he went on with a band called The Hangman Jury and he is still very active, still performing).


And here's one more picture from those days:


So. 40 Years of punk, a style of music, an attitude, a way of living and being that, in many ways, at 51 I still embrace... I kept this post short, I could fill pages with stories about those days....

I dedicate this post to some of the friends that we lost in those wild and crazy days, Andrea(Snotty), Tony, Ruud, Nathalie, Toby, Cor Kotx....

And before I forget, here's that Sex Pistols bootleg:

GET IT HERE











ENJOY!!!!






2 comments:

  1. Dank je :) was een ongelovelijke tijd en soms... soms lijkt t wel of t gisteren was :)

    ReplyDelete