Tuesday, December 8, 2020

TURNING POINT - THE TESTIMONY OF JOE LEE KIRKPATRICK FORMER HEROIN ADDICT

I bought this album in Jakarta some 18 years ago, it's one of those "I was a junkie and was saved by Jesus" records and this one is just fantastic. Joe's wife Gloria reads a poem at the beginning, a poem called Take Me In Your Arms written by one Duncan MacLaughlin, a Scottish detective of the Central Drug Squad of Scotland Yard and she really get's into it big time. Near the end of the record she also sings a religious song. This was a private pressing from Houston, Texas, who knows how it found it's way to Jakarta.... Now, this is a re-post, I posted this album back in 2012 and in 2014 I got a really nice comment by somebody called Christopher: You know him as "former heroin addict", I know him as Uncle Joe. He lives in Hawaii near Mountain View, his son Bobby died in a prison riot in TX, his son John-o lives on Maui I believe, and his ex wife....I have no idea what happened to her. Then a year or so later Christopher commented again: My uncle Joe passed away in March, 2015. However, I don't think it will make your album more valuable. :) HERE'S THE ALBUM Now, I liked this album so much, I just had to put music to it, made this some 16 years ago and I'm still pretty proud of the result :) Here's my remix: GET THE MADROTTER REMIX HERE About a week or so after posting this Chis contacted me again (here in the comment section) and he send me this:
Just great... Thanks Chris!!!! Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the madtrotter mix. It's priceless. Thanks a bunch for an awesome post. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, really appreciate that, back then, when I made it was doing loads of production putting out albums here in Bandung working hard at it and this track, I worked harder at this one than usual, took me weeks to make this one, makes me think... I might re-post a lot of my old work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super cool. I've been noticing more and more of your stuff the last couple of days. Thanks for posting them. Some totally genius cuts bro.

      Delete
  3. My uncle Joe might not dig the beats but I think the remix is great! I’ll have to send it to my cousin Jonathan- the youngest one in the back cover pic. I’m sitting with my aunt right now, reminiscing about Joe Lee and family. She and my grandmother both lost their copies of this album but I played some of it for my grandmother a couple years before she passed just before her 101st birthday in 2018. Hearing his voice after so long sure brought back plenty of memories! Thanks again for posting it and sharing- love the remix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! My dad and Joe Lee were best friends when they were young, actually they grew up together, it was because of him that my dad turned his life around. My dad was Bobby Mankin. Joe Lee was a major part of my dad’s life. My dad has an album too that talks so much about him and Joe Lee, I believe my mom has this album, it’s so awesome to see this, wish I knew more stories!
      Tylia

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris, thanks!!! And thank you for the comment, I never had an album that was asking for a remix as much as this album :)

    You know they also did a piece about it on the old WFMU website?

    http://wfmu.org/365/2003/355.shtml

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete