Wednesday, January 8, 2020

JAN BOERMAN - COMPOSITION 1972




I've been wanting to do this for quiet a while and now seems like a good moment....

Re-recording and re-posting my Composers' Voice Donemus Amsterdam collection.... Mostly experimental and contemporary classical music....

Donemus (compounded from Documentatiecentrum nederlandse muziek) is the Dutch institute dealing with the documentation of contemporary music composed in the Netherlands.

Originally a publisher of scores, between 1960-2000 Donemus also published a series of recordings titled Composers' Voice (CV); initially on LP, and later on CD. The originally large archive of hand-written scores was sent back to the composers in the early 21st century; today the archive is maintained mainly digitally.

Their vinyl records were only made for members and most of them are extremely rare, I was lucky enough, when the Dutch library in Bandung lost their funding and had to close, to get my hands on the records they had... I've been looking to buy more every time I've been to Holland but I just couldn't find them.... Their output was massive:

https://www.discogs.com/label/31299-Composers-Voice

They still exist and you can buy their albums (on cd) here (A LOT more than in the link above):

http://donemus.nl/shop/

Anyway.... Here's an album from Dutch composer Jan Boerman....

Jan Boerman (born 30 June 1923) has been a composer working in electronic music studios since 1959. He was born in The Hague. The Delft Polytechnic in Utrecht, from which the Institute of Sonology was developed, housed the first electronic music studio in the Netherlands after the Philips laboratory in Eindhoven, which was not generally open to composers.

A select few composers were invited to work at Eindhoven, including Edgard Varèse (who created his Poème électronique there in 1958) but, by 1960, Philips decided to close the facilities. It passed its equipment on to the Delft Polytechnic, which became the primary site for electronic music in the Netherlands. Administrative problems, however, caused both Boerman and Dick Raaijmakers to leave Utrecht in 1963, whereupon they began setting up a private studio in the Hague. Their facility eventually became incorporated into the Royal Conservatory of The Hague, and both men became members of the faculty. Years later, in 1986, the Institute of Sonology echoed their move by transferring from Utrecht to the Royal Conservatory in the Hague.

Boerman was trained in the traditional manner as a pianist and composer, and his initial exposure to the electronic music studio was both a shock and a revelation. There was relatively little "repertoire" in this new domain, so, while he had been struggling with serialism and "finding his voice", Boerman intuited that here was a vast new terrain to explore, free from the stylistic pressures (i.e., the triumvirate of Paris, Darmstadt, and Cologne) that were so powerfully felt at that time in Europe. Raaijmakers, on the other hand, had been studying broadcasting, recording, and applied electronics at Philips, so was more drawn into the world of studio composition.

GET IT HERE



Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Hehehehe :) A lot of weirdness coming your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently purchased a large classical vinyl collection for cheap. I bought it to flip, crazy I thought, but the 1st record sold paid for the entire collection (around 1000 LPs). I would listen to each one to ensure a proper grade, and I kept liking the records that were issued on Composers Voice. In all I pulled 25 titles. But sadly, not anything by Jan Boerman. It's on my list and will be searching for it high and low once Covid is over and I can start record hunting again. I know it's on line, but the prices are much to high for me. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently purchased a large classical vinyl collection for cheap. I bought it to flip, crazy I thought, but the 1st record sold paid for the entire collection (around 1000 LPs). I would listen to each one to ensure a proper grade, and I kept liking the records that were issued on Composers Voice. In all I pulled 25 titles. But sadly, not anything by Jan Boerman. It's on my list and will be searching for it high and low once Covid is over and I can start record hunting again. I know it's on line, but the prices are much to high for me. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome :) You're lucky! Those Composer's Voice records are just impossible to find 'cept on internet and like you said, often VERY expensive!

    ReplyDelete