Thursday, March 5, 2020

TRIBES OF DA UNDERGROUND VOLUME 1



Two ep's with underground dance music from the middle 90's.....

And listening to this I'm transported back to the middle 90's, when I bought this double album....

I was either working in Cafe The Rhythm (in Rotterdam) ....


Or I was busy working in the weed business....


Or I was doing odd dj job's, every Thursday night at Cafe/restaurant/podium B14, a very, very cool place where I was coming since I was around 15 years of age.... Every Thursday night they had session night, a band playing mostly funk and the band leader was Miko, a very tall black guy from Oakland in California, he was well known, played guitar in the Eddy Murphy Band and with Prince during the Purple Rain period. After a tour with Prince he fell in love with Rotterdam and never left.... Funny how I got that job, One night I was having a dinner break in the B14, working in The Rhythm, and a huge fight broke out between the owners of the place, they had other cafe's too, and the dj quit his job and went with the owner who quit the place. So, they had no dj for that night. Manon, who was working behind the bar there, and also was working behind the bar in The Rhythm with me said, but Henk is a dj!!! Well... I wasn't but I jumped at the chance, ran home which at that time was in ruins from a huge fire because the lamps in my weed plantation at home had somehow short-circuited, burned half the place down, me on the front page of every damn news paper in Holland (very small article but still, damn....two and a half years probation for that joke) and I came back with a back-pack full of cd's and bags full of records. Band played and in between breaks I played and I absolutely rocked the crowd, playing loads of hip hop which at that time, '94, wasn't really played anywhere 'cept at hip hop concerts... After the band quit I kept playing and had the crowd dancing till the early morning, something that was never happening at that place and I was hired on the spot....

I loved playing in that place.... I would show up really early so I could start playing when people were still having dinner, playing lounge type music, jazz and all that and go wild later at night between breaks from the band.... One thing that I will never forget was when one of Rotterdam's longest playing and most respected dj's (and still playing!!!) Adre Dadi was there, and he came over and paid his compliments, saying that he really, really enjoyed listening to what I was playing and I should really keep doing it because, in his words, I had a "special talent".... When I was still a kid I would go to clubs and Andre would be spinning in those places, to have him say to me what he said back then.... it's hard to put into words what that meant for me.... So MUCH LOVE for dj Andre Dadi!!!!


Another dj that comes to mind is Dj Eric van Doorn aka Dj Eric Denz Da Denz... Sadly, Eric passed away quiet recently... He would often come to that place to eat, and if I was playing, it was so funny, he would get up and run to me, what is this you're playing???!!!! "Well Eric, I told you about this guy, it's Mic Geronimo". He'd be running up to me 10 times, 15 times a night :) At One point Eric came up to me and asked me if I wanted to start working with him, to warm up the crowds for him and at the time he was playing in the big hall in Nightown which, at that time was one of the biggest most successful venues in Holland, not just Rotterdam... Unfortunately that never happened because I was just getting ready for a four month back-pack trip and I ended up in Indonesia and never left.... So... Rest In Peace Eric and thanks for the recognition man!!!!.


Yes.... The 90's... Just like the 80's.... Great, great times, so many incredibly wild adventures.....

Anyway, here's the two ep's:


HERE'S THE FIRST EP



HERE'S THE SECOND EP:


Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment