Wednesday, October 4, 2023

GEORGE LEWIS AND HIS NEW ORLEANS STOMPERS

So, for the last month or so I've been reading the Dave Robicheaux series from writer James Lee Burke, super hard=boiled crime stories that almost all play out in the small city of New Iberia and New Orleans in Louisiana, and I've been having a ball with them. Great, great books, great, great writer. He's written 23 books in this series and I'm finishing the 17th book, Swan Peak, now.... Like I said, so far they've all been great books but the stand out book, for me, sofar has to be The Tin Roof Blowdown that is set in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath of that insane advent. Always knew it was BAD, just didn't realize it was THAT BAD... I can really recommend....
So yeah, seems like a good time to drop this album from George Lewis and his New Orleans Stompers. Says on the cover that these are original Blue Note recordings..... GET IT HERE Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I've read one of JLB's DB books and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. If you come across any "Doc' Ford" books from author Randy Wayne White, give it a try (lower Gulf Coast of Florida focused). And if your feeling brave/adventurous/strong-willed, James Ellroy's work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah!!! Thanks for the tips!!! I read a lot, and I mean A LOT, before this I was reading the incredible Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough, amazing books, and I love science fiction, historical romans, got a deep love for Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series, Robert Anton Wilson, Bukowsky, Vonnegut, Philip K. Dick, Dan Simmons and loads of others.... I think I've read Ellroy's Black Dahlia but going to look for his and Randy Wayne White, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded The Tin Roof Blowdown on your recommendation. Just started it. It's great. I can't believe I never heard of this author.

      Delete
  3. They liken him to Faulkner. Been wanting to read Faulkner for a long time already and quite a few of his books downloaded.... They always say that Southern literature, like Faulkner, is a lot like Dutch colonial literature, with a strong longing for the past.... Personaly, I'm happy I started reading this from the start so I understand how the protagonist' life progresses and you understand the relationships better....

    ReplyDelete