Friday, August 26, 2022

GANDRUNG SUIDAH VOL. 1 GUBAB

For many years I had the impression that Central and East Javanese traditional music was all about gending music and that it was all rather static, all music made for the palaces of the sultans. How wrong I was! The more I'm diving into the music from those areas the more I'm finding out how incredible the music coming from there is, how deep it goes and how varried it all is.... Gending music itself goes incredibly deep, with so many styles and variations, I have barely scratched the surface! Currently, I'm really fascinated with all the music coming out of the Banyuwangi area in Central Java, music like kendang kempul, you can find a bunch of cassettes on this blog, or the music featured in this post, gandrung music.... I'm reading about it, and a big help is this youtube channel that I can really recommend: https://www.youtube.com/c/elvinhendratha/videos Here's a great gandrung cassette with legendary gandrung singers like Suidah and Poniti.... GET IT HERE Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. jep. silence, only the last 10 seconds or so of the first track....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post is over a month old, but I'm sure Banyuwangi is actually in East Java.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe you're right, i always confuse banyuwangi with banyumas which is in middle java :)

    ReplyDelete